Supporting healthy behaviour change in families can be challenging, but there are things you can do to make your conversations with families more productive. This free, accredited, online course introduces Motivational Interviewing (MI): a collaborative, patient-centered style of communication that can help strengthen personal motivation to change. Through a series of videos, self-reflective questions, exercises, and role-playing activities, this course will introduce you to the key elements of MI, and provide support and advice for successfully integrating MI into your clinical practice. Using the communication strategies and tools covered in this course, you will be able to help families explore their own reasons for change, and support them as they move effectively toward change. This course has been created in partnership with Live 5-2-1-0 at BC Children's Hospital.
This education was designed for all primary healthcare providers that work with children and their families..
The course is divided into four lessons:
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing
- The Science of Behaviour Change
- Communication Strategies
- Motivational Tools
How to access the eLearning course
- STEP 1: Login to http://elearning.ubccpd.ca
- Click “Login in” top right or go directly to http://elearning.ubccpd.ca/login/index.php
- If you already have a login for the UBC CPD eLearning site you can use the login that you had previously, otherwise:
- Create an account by clicking “Create new account” and follow the steps (you will receive a confirmation email)
Now that you are logged in:
- STEP 2: Access the course
- From the home page, click on the course titled “Motivational Interviewing” or go to this url: https://elearning.ubccpd.ca/course/view.php?id=372
- Click “Enrol me”