Report FAQ

Choosing the right report

Every patient injured in a car crash will require either a Standard or Extended Report, and in most cases this will be the only report needed. Only in difficult or extended recovery cases will a Reassessment Report be required, either at the MRP’s discretion or at the request of ICBC.

See the report options below. Not sure which report to complete? Check out the flowchart.

Click on the headers below to expand content.

Report options

1. GP Standard Medical Report (CL489) ($120)
  • ​A worker or student, and is able to fully complete work, training or studying activities and there is no absence or reduction to these activities; or
  • A non-worker, such as a retiree, and sustains no substantial impairment as a result of their injuries.

2. GP Extended Medical Report (CL489A) ($325)

  • For injured people that are off work/school, on a modified work plan, or are experiencing significant functional impairment and unable to perform their typical activities of daily living.

Important notes about the Extended Report

  • Includes important information about the injured person’s modified or off work details

3. GP Reassessment Medical Report (CL489B) ($210)

  • For injured people that are not recovering as expected at or before 90 days from the crash and MRP is considering referral to a Registered Care Advisor (RCA);
  • If the injured person requires a modified treatment plan; or
  • If a Reassessment Report is requested by ICBC.

Important notes about the Reassessment Report

  • It includes elements of a physical examination and detailed documentation
  • The Reassessment Report should be informed by the Extended Report and includes fields for the MRP to detail how the injured person has progressed
  • If an RCA is required, this Report will be a primary component of the referral
    • The MRP does the referral – ICBC is not involved in this process
    • Access roster of RCAs in specific areas of practice here
  • Provides status updates on progress to ICBC
  • There may be scenarios in which treatment is suggested that is outside the preapproved limits – this report will provide information so that ICBC can approve any treatment that may be above and beyond the preapproved options
  • The reassessment report enables further customization of treatment plans. There is an opportunity to consider expansion of services to address psychological barriers. Also, consideration of other treatments that may help with pain management and connection to community resources that can provide community-based support (e.g. Occupational Therapy for pain management, PainBC).

Link to printable PDF of report options 


Download a copy of the flowchart here.

Follow-up visits (no report) vs. change in circumstance (Reassessment Report)

Bill all follow-up visits to MSP via Teleplan at the current MSP established rate and select ICBC as the third party insurer. Only the initial appointment requires you to submit a GP Standard Medical Report or GP Extended Medical Report.

However, if a patient is not recovering as expected, if you identify additional barriers to recovery that should be reflected in the treatment plan, or if the diagnosis changes, submit a Reassessment Report.

A Reassessment Report is required if:

  1. The treatment plan and/or diagnosis has changed;
  2. You would like to refer to a Register Care Advisor (RCA); or
  3. ICBC requests this report.

Complete the Reassessment Report at or near 90 days after the patient's accident date. If Reassessment Report or RCA is required after 90 days, submit the Reassessment Report for ICBC’s consideration.

Who completes reports

The most responsible physician (MRP) (i.e. the one overseeing management and care of the patient’s injuries) should complete the report.

Emergency Room (ER) and Walk in Clinics (WIC) should not complete the report and should bill a standard MSP visit with ICBC as the third party insurer. In cases where an ER or WIC physician have completed a report, and the patient has a family physician (FP), the FP will not have access to this report. The FP should complete the initial report and assessment the first time they see the patient as part of usual treatment.

If the patient does not have a family physician and all follow-up will be conducted at the WIC, the physician completing the initial assessment should submit the report.

What if your patient does not provide consent?

If the patient does not provide consent, ICBC will request the report at a later date as per Section 28 or 28.1 of the Insurance (Vehicle) Act. This is a legally required report – you cannot opt out of sending the report. Find out more about consent on our Consent page.

Nurse Practitioners

In some clinics Nurse Practitioners will monitor and manage a patient’s care. In this case they will be responsible for completing reports when requested by ICBC. A report with initial visit is not required. A Standard Report for NPs is available on the ICBC website.

EMRs and Submitting Reports

Physicians can access the report templates via their Electronic Medical Record (EMR), as several common EMRs have them embedded.

However, if your EMR does not contain the embedded report templates, you can access them through the ICBC website and complete them as either a fillable PDF or by hand. In either case, reports can be mailed or faxed to ICBC.




ICBC PO Box 2121 
STN Terminal
Vancouver BC
V6B 0L6

Allied Health Reports

Initial and Reassessment Reports are available for allied health care providers on the ICBC Reports webpage.

These include reports for:

  • Chiropractors
  • Clinical Counsellors
  • Kinesiologists
  • Nurse Practitioners
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Psychologists

For basic information on how to fill out reports for chiropractors, clinical counsellors, kinesiologists, physiotherapists, and psychologists see here.

As of April 1, 2019, chiropractors, clinical counsellors, kinesiologists, occupational therapists, physiotherapists and psychologists can attach and submit reports to ICBC directly through the Health Care Provider Invoicing and Reporting (HCPIR) application. View HCPIR resources on ICBC’s website.

Communication between HCPs

In complex cases it may be beneficial for allied health care providers to communicate with the injured person’s MRP. For example, Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists can request information from the MRP or have conference calls to discuss patient updates. There are physician fees to support this service.


You do not need to submit an invoice if you submit a report. A submitted report serves as an invoice and includes the visit fee. See payment and billing section for more FAQ on these topics.

For retired, unemployed, children, or stay-at-home parents

Choose the report based on the injured person’s functional impairment and ability to perform typical activities of daily living. This includes if the injured person is retired, unemployed, a child, or a stay-at-home parent where return to work planning is not applicable.

Pedestrian, cyclist, or scooter injuries

If a pedestrian, cyclist, scooter driver, or other person not in a vehicle is injured during a car crash, complete the appropriate report based on functional impairment and ability to perform typical activities of daily living. Ensure that the patient has reported the incident and has obtained a claim number. If they do not have a claim number and have no intention of making a claim, then proceed as if this is a non-ICBC visit.

Involving WorkSafeBC

If a patient is injured in a crash while at work, complete the WorkSafeBC reporting requirements. If it is determined that it is instead an ICBC claim, ICBC will send a request letter for the report.

If you have any questions about the ICBC Education Project or these webpages, please contact

More »